How do I file Economic Substance Regulations Notifications to RAKEZ?
Ras Al Khaimah Economic Area has the Economic Substance Regulations. It requires both the Exempted Licensee and the Licensee to perform the relevant activities to satisfy the economic substance requirements in the United Arab Emirates. ESR in RAKEZ requires businesses to follow the requirements of filing ESR Notifications at the Relevant Regulatory Authority by the deadline. Notification for ESR in RAKEZ requires Licensees and Exempted Licensors to declare that they are performing Core Income Generating Activities within the UAE. The Economic Substance Regulations Notice for RAKEZ Businesses requires both the Licensee and Exempted Licensor to:
- You must meet the requirements of Economic Substance Regulations (UAE).
- Send an ESR Return to RAKEZ
All businesses in Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone that carry out Core Income Generating activities must submit an ESR notification form electronically to the Ministry of Finance’s new portal. Businesses that have already submitted an ESR Notice form to the RAKEZ Authority should submit the ESR Form again once it becomes available on the portal. Within six months of the close of the Financial Year of the Business Relevant Activities, the ESR Notifications forms should be submitted to the relevant Regulatory Authority.
The Economic Substance Regulations will be effective as of January 2019. These are the requirements for ESR in RAKEZ.
- For submission of the ESR Notification, the Licensee and Exempted Licensor should give information on the Relevant Activity being conducted by the Business in UAE.
- It is also important to provide information regarding the gross income of the business from Core Income Generating activities that are not subject to UAE tax.
- The end date for the relevant activity of the business.
It is important to remember that an economic substance report should not be submitted for a period in which a business has not received its gross income from Relevant Activities or met exemption requirements. RAKEZ requires that ESR Notifications be filed.
Businesses that have been granted exemption are still required to submit an ESR Notification form in the Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone.
- An investment fund
- A tax tenant applicant in another state than the United Arab Emirates
- A UAE-owned organization, whose members are UAE citizens.
- A branch of a foreign organization whose income is to be subject to tax outside the United Arab Emirates
ESR Returns must be filed within 12 months from the end of each financial year to meet the requirements for filing ESR Notification. ESR Return submission information should include details about Core Income Generating Activities, Gross Income, Costs, and Physical Assets of the Business. The Corporate business must file their ESR Returns. An integrated ESR Report is invalid.
It is important to remember that businesses in RAKEZ who have not made their gross income from Relevant Activities or met exemption status are not required by law to file an ESR Return.
To avoid errors, professional assistance is required to file an ESR notification in the Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone. Failure to comply with Economic Substance Regulations (RAKEZ) can lead to penalties ranging from AED 10,000 to 50,000. There is also the possibility of the exchange of information with Foreign Competent Authorities in accordance with Article 1 of Ministerial Decree 57 of 2020. Sanctions include suspension, revocation, or inability to renew the Licensee’s license.